Friday, August 13, 2010

Banana Oatmeal Pancakes


A brief rest from Mexican food today.  One of my favorite blogs is Ameet Maturu's Rice of Life.  He comes up with really creative, healthy and mostly gluten-free recipes.  While he doesn't post too often, it's always quality when he does. 

This recipe comes from Ameet's Oatmeal Kefir Pancake recipeKefir is like yogurt although thinner and with a slightly sour flavor.  But, it's got tons more probiotics than yogurt.  Forget Activia, this is the stuff (and it doesn't have the artificial sweeteners).   Normally we make smoothies with it, adding bananas, strawberries or any other fruit.  Most recently, we've been making whole milk kefir smoothies with peaches and bananas.  They're great and keep you full for a while. I found the recipe last Spring when I was searching for gluten-free pancakes that might use kefir.  Ameet makes the very good observation that kefir has a buttermilk-like quality to it which makes it great for pancakes.  I was sold on his recipe and I've made it so many times since that I realized it has to show up here.  When Rosie and I first started thinking about cutting back on wheat, gluten etc, I thought I wouldn't be able to stop eating pancakes.  There's something really wonderful about pancakes for breakfast, and yet I'm not all that thrilled about loading up on flour for breakfast.  So these pancakes, which are predominately oats (and in this case almond meal), are full of protein and fiber and a great way to start the day. 

Don't be turned off by the kefir in this recipe.  If you don't make it, or want to buy it, yogurt should work pretty well.  Because I make so many smoothies with it, I decided to try using kefir smoothie in place of the kefir.  I love banana pancakes so banana-kefir smoothie was the logical choice.  I was right, these were great.  Topped with some toasted walnuts or blueberries, this is an awesome breakfast. 

Ingredients
1 cup of whole milk kefir/yogurt
1 banana
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 egg
1 T. vegetable oil
1 T. agave nectar or other sweetener (honey, maple syrup)
1 t. vanilla extract

1/4 cup almond meal (I use Trader Joe's brand ground almond meal)
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/8 t. nutmeg
1/8 t. cinnamon
chopped toasted walnuts for garnish

Blend kefir and banana until smooth.  Since Ameet's recipe calls for a cup of kefir (and you end up with a little more after the addition of fruit), measure out just a cup (you can always drink the rest).  Put the oats in a bowl with kefir and let sit for 20 minutes.  Beat egg, oil, agave and vanilla in a small bowl and add to oats. 

Combine almond meal, baking soda, salt and spices in a small bowl with a fork.  Add to wet ingredients and mix well. 

Spoon onto the griddle.  Cook over medium-low heat until bubbles begin to open.  (Note: these pancakes are a little harder to turn than wheat pancakes so keep your eye on them.  I'm used to the difficulty of pancakes with a gas stove).  Top with chopped walnuts and or blueberries and real maple syrup.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, these sound like a great way to start the day! I love kefir...that little fizzy-like twang...mmmm. I'll definitely try it in my pancakes one of these days!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails